The sentencing hearing for the gunman who admitted to killing 51 worshippers in two Christchurch, New Zealand mosques last year will begin Monday, as survivors and the families of the victims will address a socially distant courtroom over the course of the next four days.
The judge in charge of the case, Justice Cameron Mander, is not allowing live reporting from the sentencing and has reserved the right to ban some things that are said in court from being broadcast or published. The victims also can choose to remain anonymous.
“The court may determine what information can be published about a hearing and when it can be published,” Mander said, according to the New York Times. The rules “are determined that he does not do more damage to the victims, instigate further crimes, and the integrity of the court is not damaged.”
Any republication of the manifesto or video of the attack was also prohibited. Mander said he realized the court process had been “exhausting and frustrating” for many of the victims, but hoped “Finality and closure is considered by some as the best means of bringing relief to the Muslim community.”